Saturday, June 28, 2014

Journey to Natural: 10 months Post Relaxer!


Only two more months until I hit that one year mark in my transitioning journey and I am so excited! Deciding to go natural was not easy especially when you're dealing with two different textures. I can't explain the joy I feel when I run my fingers through my soft and curly natural hair. Typing my natural hair I have discovered that I am 4A with tight S shaped coils. The top picture doesn't really help show my hair texture but youcan definitely see where my wavy new growth ends and where my stringy relaxed ends begin. I would say that my hair is about 75% new growth. I've thought about doing the big chop or at least a mini chop but I still don't feel comfortable with cutting my hair. Right now I'm just going to get frequent trims to get rid of dead relaxed ends. Hopefully at 16 months post relaxer my new growth will be about shoulder length and then I will cut my hair. Until then I am saving my hair with protective styles like Bantu Knots, Braid Outs, and Mini Twists. I can say that following natural hair pages and YouTube has been a great help in finding new hairstyles. I would love to try Sengalese twists again for the upcoming school year so I can speed up the process a little. I do hydrate my hair with water everyday and seal it with Coconut oil to combat dryness and breakage from this summer heat. I love using Aloe Vera Oil and Eco Styler gel to smooth my edges and baby hair. I cowash (wash with conditioner) my hair once a week and do a protein treatment every two weeks with a Keratin treatment.   I like the support I'm getting from my mother and best friend because they are the reason why I have transitioned this long.  I'm falling in love with my natural hair and can't wait to see what my hair will look like a year from now. 

Peace&Harmony, 

Shay❤️

If you are transitioning, natural, or have any questions about my hair journey please comment below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment